Food hygiene fine for Newquay takeaway
Nural Huda, from Newquay, was ordered to pay a total of £6115 by Magistrates on Friday, 3 June, after he pleaded guilty to eight offences committed under the Food Safety and Hygiene Regulation 2013 at his takeaway business Chillies in St Columb Major in 2015.
These offences related to Chillies, another Take Away business he ran between April and October 2015 using a rented kitchen in St Columb Major.
The court heard how seven inspections were carried out by Cornwall Council's Food Safety Team during that time. They revealed a series of hygiene failings, for which Hygiene Improvement Notices were served on Mr Huda after agreed informal timescales were not honoured.
Cornwall Council said: "These required him to make various structural improvements, including improvements to drainage and floor surfaces, train food handlers and implement a documented food safety management system.
"Despite the area officer offering assistance and carrying out mutually agreed appointments, he failed to comply with these notices to meet the required standards."
Mr Huda also pleaded guilty to obstructing officers by giving false and misleading information. Kingsley Keat, Senior Legal Officer for Cornwall Council, told the court the situation had been aggravated by the provision of false information that escalated investigation costs.
Summing up the Magistrates told Mr Huda that he had cost the tax payer unnecessary time and money and awarded full costs to the Council.
Cornwall Council Cabinet Member for Communities Geoff Brown said: "This prosecution sends out a clear message that Cornwall Council considers food safety to be extremely important. Officers work very closely with businesses to ensure they know the law and offer help and advice where they can.
"However, where food business operators consistently fail to respond and seek to flout the law, prosecution is the only option available to ensure the public are protected. As a general rule I would urge the public to check hygiene ratings online before they eat out."